Friday, August 10, 2012

Color Dare #11 - Ruby, Goldrush, Honey, Sweet Leaf, Indian Corn Blue, & Cocoa

Welcome to Color My Heart, the exclusive Close to My Heart color dare blog! Thanks to everyone who joined in last week for the Ruby challenge. Scroll down to see the beautiful entries.

Congrats to last week's winner of the Color Dare: Amy McVey! She showcased some great new products including the new Artiste Cricut cartridge!


Ruth's choice: Marie Flayer!

Franny's choice: Carol Loftus! Franny loves the simplicity of her card and the cute button embellishments.


This week's color dare is a big one. Use any or all:
Ruby
Goldrush
Honey
Sweet Leaf
Indian Corn Blue
Cocoa
I made a card using the sketch from The Sweet Stop. The stamp set I used was from the Scroll Album WOTG. I used Cocoa, Honey, and Indian Corn Blue ink and Colonial White, Cocoa, Indian Corn Blue, and Honey cardstock. The embellishments I used were from the Mocha Opaques and Floret Paper Shapes collections, and I also used Burlap Ribbon.

Lesson: Today's lesson is about shades. We have already discussed tints (adding white to a hue) and tones (adding grey to a hue). Shades are - you guessed it - when you add black to a hue! There is a bit of black added to each of these colors, if only a little, all except for Sweet Leaf. I threw that in there for a bit of brightness. I also threw Cocoa in there. You can normally use any neutrals, but I'd prefer if you attempted to use Cocoa for this one.

Bonus Points: I will be awarding bonus points if you use a sketch (current or previous) from the Sweet Stop if you are making a card, or use a pattern from Magic if you are making a layout.

Ruth made a beautiful layout for her daughter:
Ruth's colors are not exact, but are very close to the featured colors. She used B&T's from Olivia (sunset), Dreamin' (pacifica), and Stella (tulip). She also used Sweet Leaf and Honey cardstock. Her bases are Colonial White and her lettering is done in Cocoa. She used the square from Baroque Alphabet for her banner, and she embossed her banner letters in colored embossing powder. The stitching and flowers are done with DMC floss, and she hand crocheted her flowers! Very pretty!

Here is Franny's card:
Franny used the Remarkable Wreath and Harvest Happiness stamp sets. Her background color was cocoa. She used colonial white as the background for the wreath, which is stamped in cocoa and goldrush. The acorns are also stamped in goldrush and cocoa, and the sentiment color is honey. This card really makes me long for cool weather. Thanks, Franny!

Now it's your turn! Here's what you do: Create a project using the featured colors. You must use Close to My Heart (CTMH) products to participate, but you may use other products as well. You will get bonus points if you use 100%, current CTMH products! Your project can be anything as long as there is paper in it. Examples are: scrapbooking layouts, cards, 3D items, altered items, and StudioJ layouts. You may combine as many challenges as you want, but please make sure you use only the colors in our challenge. Feel free to add any neutrals in our color palette to your project.

Take a photo of your project, upload it to your blog or online gallery, and link your post up here. You must provide a link to your post, not just to your blog in general. Please include a link to our site and our challenge photo on your blog post. You have until Thursday @ 8PM to link your work. Thanks so much, and have fun!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah and crew for all the great color dares and for picking my project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth for selecting my card this week and for posting your own wonderful creations on this site! Thanks also to Sarah for all the hard work and creative talent it takes to keep this challenge going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it seemed more challenging w/ more colors to choose from, LOL! Thanks for the fun color choices, another fun week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Frostbite! I thought I to use Ruby and I didn't have Ruby so I traded it for Tulip which meant I couldn't officially enter the challenge for this week. Silly, silly me for not reading the directions a little more carefully. If anybody wants to check it out anyway, you can visit my blog at http://spreadinglovewithinkandpaper.blogspot.com/2012/08/color-dare-trade-off.html Hugs, Brenda F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and enter it, Brenda. I didn't really use Ruby either... I think those flowers are Cranberry (and Ruth used Tulip too). No worries :)

      Delete